Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meadow Mushrooms

Meadow Mushrooms
June 16, 2009 03:08PM
I have found (in the last three days) mushrooms that fit nearly all critria for meadow mushrooms.
The first, fit all the criteria except that the gills were white and stayed white and the spore print was white.
The second, the gills were white then turned brown and the spore print was brown.
The third, the gills are the closest to pink, more like a caramel, spore print brown.
Why is having white gills a bad thing?
Arg!!!
They do not have any yellow staining, yellow flesh in the base, nor any unpleasant odor...smell like button shrooms.
Dodgemomma
jc
Re: Meadow Mushrooms
June 17, 2009 11:01AM
Careful with them white spored mushrooms. If you don't know, don't try it. White spored could be bad as the Amanita family is white spored and most all are poisonous and some deadly. There are no Agaricus species with a white spore print.

Meadow mushrooms will not stain, typically do not grow near trees, grow together in groups usually in the grass or open areas, and have a brown spore print. They start with pink gills and over time turn to brown. They look very much like the button mushroom in the grocery store. They can be very difficult to identify as there are too many lookalikes out there. I'd suggest starting with some of the more common easily identifiable ones such as Suillus, Puffballs, King Bolete, Chantrelle, Shaggy Mane, etc. You will be much safer.

You can post your photos to a photosharing site like [photobucket.com] and then link to them from here for now. I'm working on photo uploads directly to the message board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 11:05AM by jc.
June 18, 2009 07:15AM
Thanks for the advise. I have suffered no ill affects from the nibbles I have taken of these buttom look alikes. I have been very carefull to ensure that the root base is not from an Amanita volva.
I'll try the upload to the photo site you mentioned.
is there AA for shroomers??? hehehehe
June 18, 2009 07:52AM

Someone let me know if this worked
Thanks
jc
June 18, 2009 09:26AM
Your pic worked. That is for sure an Agaricus, but probably not A. campestris. They are probably another Agaricus. (Scratch that). Those appear to be very stalky like a tork. Do you have any mature specimens? What happens if you slice one lengthwise? Will it stain color after awhile?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2009 10:00AM by jc.
jc
June 18, 2009 10:01AM
They are not Agaricus. They are something I am not familiar with. You should do a spore print on the big one.
jc
June 18, 2009 09:55AM
Photo Test. .

You can now upload images under the Control Center using the file upload feature then link to them in the message boards.
June 18, 2009 09:55AM
No color changes. Here is the rest of the family
June 18, 2009 10:06AM
White....
Tried the upload in Control center. Got an error. Will try later.
jc
June 18, 2009 11:00AM
My guess is that they are some kind of Tricholoma. Where and what habitat did you find them? Elevation, trees near, grass, mountains, etc?
June 18, 2009 02:01PM
In the landscape material at Buca De Peppo in Broomfield. Shreaded bark under low lying evregreens amongset other pine trees. Got to get it together on the type of pine. (long needles... are they the two needles I read about??) some of the oldest shrooms were 7-8 inches tall and turned up completly on the rims to the point of being about a half inch above the gills. Cap was about 6 inches across. I was out to dinner and didnt have my camera. That wont happen again.
June 18, 2009 02:34PM
In this day and age.... where a mushroom is found (unless really in the wild), makes for difficult identification. the above mentioned landscape material could have come from, who knows where. This wet late spring has any and every spore blossoming forward hither tither. heheheheh That dont help my adiction any. heheheheh...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login