Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Help Identify for Prints I'm Making!

JD
Help Identify for Prints I'm Making!
November 22, 2010 12:25PM
Hi,

I'm glad to be on this really cool web site. I finished my travels last summer and am producing prints of the wild fungi of Wyoming. I enjoyed eating my first wild mushrooms, Boletus edulis, this summer in the Snowy Range of Wyoming. All the photos are from there.

I stumbled across this site trying to firm up I.D.'s and wondered if people could help me identify these since their names will be on the prints. (these will be hand drawn screen prints) Here's a link to the photos/species I'm trying to be sure of I.D.ing. There's also a link to my Flickr site. I'm pretty confident of some of these like Amanita muscaria and Boletus edulis. Others.....not so sure. Thanks in advance, and what a great site!

JD

Species I need help with:

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

My Flickr collection of Mushrooms (still uploading):

[www.flickr.com]
jc
November 24, 2010 04:10PM
It's hard to tell on some of the photos. I can tell you #3 is Laccaria laccata. When I get more time later I will try and go through all of them.
jc
November 26, 2010 10:46AM
#1 - Probably Sarcodon imbricatus - http://www.coloradomushrooms.com/mushroom.php?id=11

#2 - Could be Amanita magniverrucata or similar. - http://www.coloradomushrooms.com/mushroom.php?id=13

#3 - Laccaria lacatta - http://www.coloradomushrooms.com/mushroom.php?id=56

#4 - Waxy Cap, probably Hygrophorus of some kind.

#5 - Could be Boletus.

#6 - Same as #1

Thanks for sharing your photos. There are some good ones in your album.

Your gallery also contains Amanita muscaria, Russula, Lycoperdon, Ramaria, and Leccinum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 10:48AM by jc.
JD
November 28, 2010 08:12PM
Thanks so much for the help! I'll send photos of the finished prints! I should finish the Boletus edulius print this week. Then I'll start on some of the others you helped with. Thanks so much!

JD
JD
December 01, 2010 11:05AM
Last ID that I need. Here's the final one I need help with! I forgot to include it in the first batch!

[www.flickr.com]

You already have plenty of great photos for your site, but feel free to use any of my photos if they seem useful for your website.

Thanks again for the help!

JD
jc
December 01, 2010 11:57AM
It is probably Amanita magniverrucata or similar. - [www.coloradomushrooms.com]

It could be another dried Amanita as well. I'm pretty sure it is A. magniverrucata. I found a group of them here in Colorado around 10,000ft in the La Garita mountains. They were very dry as well.

That one is my favourite photo of yours BTW. Some of the photos on coloradomushrooms.com are several years old and are not near as good as some of the more recent ones from 2009 & 2010.

I know these look slightly different, but the same mushroom can appear very different depending on environment.

This one I think is the same, but it COULD also be A. muscaria

This one I think really is A. muscaria

And this one is A. muscaria without a doubt.

These photos are all from a mushroom hunt in August in southern Colorado in August 2010. This was a very dry area where water would funnel from thunderstorms. There were only mushrooms grouped in this one area. Together I found Amanita muscaria, Amanita magniverrucata, and some small Boletus Edulis. They all appeared to be really dry and never finished fully forming from a lack of moisture. Here is a link to all of the photos.
http://www.coloradomushrooms.com/august132010.php

What I find interesting is that Amanita magniverrucata in most references is white and not orange in color. They also mention that they are mycorrizal with certain species of Pine trees which do not grow in Colorado. The ones I have found in Colorado are always orange so they could very well be a unique species and simply a relative of A. magniverrucata. They could even be a species not yet named. I always find them at very high elevation > 10,000ft.

This photo was taken from Monarch Pass, CO ~11,000ft a few years ago.

Maybe GnomedAgain will chime in if he knows anything about this particular Amanita.
JD
December 04, 2010 06:24AM
Those are some great photos for sure. I can't wait to post a pic of my latest Blolete print. I think it turned out really well.

I was wondering if the cracked tops on the last photo of mine were related to this one. I did some hiking this summer up in the snowy range of Wyoming and it was just as you described. At higher elevation there were three dominant species, Boletes, muscaria, and magniverrucata. They were everywhere. I've been shocked by how great the quality of photos from just a point and shoot camera. The depth of color is just amazing. I'll be back out again this coming summer for more hiking. My wife's family all live in Laramie. I'm looking forward to becoming a regular on the boards here!

JD
December 10, 2010 02:28PM
I agree with all identification except #5 is a Cortinarius sp. for sure, and the 'Amanita' is troubling as well. Wish I could see one dug out of the ground... hmmm. Almost looks like an Amanita muscaria with the scales washed off (which does happen as many of you already know) and to make matters even more confusing, I can't even say it's an Amanita. It even looks like the Amanita caeserea group which I found out is quite large. Check out this link: [pluto.njcc.com] Hope this helps... probably just made it more confusing, though. smiling smiley
JD
December 12, 2010 07:08PM
Thanks for that input. I'll check out the link!
JD
January 07, 2011 09:50AM
Well, that is a bit confusing. I see what you mean about A. mag. potentially being a different species. The A. mag. from California I saw in pics on the web looks much whiter. I'm setting type this afternoon and may just put "probably an Amanita species" or something like that. Or maybe just use A. mag. since my hand drawn prints won't be used for I.D. or anything. Still, I hate to misname it. That would bug me.... Alot. confused smiley

JD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login