Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any finds lately?

jc
Any finds lately?
March 10, 2011 04:25PM
I know its been pretty dry but there is always something. Anyone find that early cluster of Oyster mushrooms yet?

Morel season is coming soon!
Re: Any finds lately?
April 09, 2011 02:54PM
Just got back from Texas! Morel season was so great last year, that the morels were non-existent down there. But we still had quite a few interesting finds! I'll post pictures soon!
April 11, 2011 09:51AM
Looked around Louisville on Sunday, didn't spot anything...feels like Morels should be out in what, 1-2 weeks time?
jc
April 11, 2011 10:09AM
They should be around within the next 30 days but the lack of moisture may hinder things. Look under narrow leaved cottonwoods when the leaves just start to come out about an inch or two. I have a feeling they will be difficult to find this year if there are any.
April 14, 2011 10:55AM
What about in the stream area's around the Four mile canyon fire? Mushrooms usually love to sprout up after a fire right?
jc
April 14, 2011 11:07AM
Black morels are typically associated with recent burn areas from foothills to subalpine around June or so near streams.

Yellow morels grow in the plains near streams with cottonwoods around the flood plain April - May.

Some years they are non existent. They are very difficult to spot since they both blend in with the stuff on the ground like leaves and pine cones.
April 15, 2011 01:31PM
Thank you for your insight(s), much appreciated.
April 22, 2011 01:24AM
Pleurotus are out! In the past few days we have found quite a few pounds of oyster mushrooms. I have also seen Coprinus comatus, the shaggy mane, in decent quantities around town as well. It is still too early for morels, but I have a feeling that the rain we have been getting is a sure sign of a good season this year. Nebraska is just getting their first morels as of this week, and Kansas has just started getting them as well. My guess is in two weeks they will be out. But get out there and find some Pleurotus! Best bet is along creeks where cottonwood has fallen and still has it's bark on it or freshly cut stumps in urban areas. Happy Spring out there!

Found in Boulder, Colorado - April 20th, 2011

P.S. jc, love the new text editor!
April 26, 2011 07:38PM
Aloha !!! everyone !!! I am so excited to be in colorado, but my game plan and years of hunting skills were all aquired in INDIANA !!! So if any one has some pointers, PLEASE. Shout them out. AND I hope this internet thing can finally prove its worth (at least to me) Happy Hunting Everyone !
jc
April 26, 2011 07:53PM
Nice find Gnomed. Oysters are always a great find. I'll be on the lookout.

boomers, start simple with studying the most common edibles we have around here and work your way up from there. Oysters, Boletes, Chantrelle, shaggy mane, etc.
May 02, 2011 10:20AM
Walked an area along the Coal Creek in Lafayette over the weekend, no mushrooms sad smiley
jc
May 03, 2011 11:10AM
Nothing here either. Maybe after it warms a bit?
May 03, 2011 04:44PM
Morels found today!! The season begins!
May 04, 2011 09:11AM
5,5500-6,000' elevation Gnomed?
May 04, 2011 10:13AM
5,000-5,500' soil temp should read 49-53 degrees F. I bought a digital candy thermometer that is fairly accurate. We only found 16 or so... Still a little early and dry. We need rain!
May 04, 2011 04:16PM
Hey, I was a math major in college and 16 > 0, and 0 is what I found in an hour walking the coal creek smiling smiley
May 04, 2011 05:36PM

^ one day in Nebraska.

^ one of the biggest I found last weekend in Nebraska.
jc
May 04, 2011 05:43PM
Awesome photos as usual. Thanks for sharing them here. Now if I could only find one already!
May 06, 2011 09:07AM
Fabulous photos, we're all jealous!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login