Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mystery Mushroom.

Mystery Mushroom.
June 18, 2011 01:47PM
I'm new to this site. and shrooming. I have been finding these mushrooms in Wyoming in the sage brush mixed grass areas at 7,000'-7,500.
I was out looking for meadow mushrooms that I found there last year when I came across these.
What was interesting is a couple of people came by and asked me if I found any mushrooms. I said yes but I didn't know what there are. They looked at them and said Yeah thats what were picking, we have been eating these all our lives. I said good what are they??? They said "I don't know". I spoke to several people that harvest this mushroom but no one knows what they are. I looked in my different books, used keys, I still can't identify it.
The gills are close together some short some long. The gills look like there attached near the top of the stem. There is no ring around the stem. Spore print is white/cream collored. I have often found them under the sage brush. The caps are not always cracked like the one in the photo.
As the caps get bigger they get more flat, and grow to about 4" wide.
Any one have any idea what this is???
Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
open | download - Wild Mushrooms (4)smaller.JPG (220 KB)
open | download - Wild MushroomsSmaller.JPG (155 KB)
June 18, 2011 02:19PM
Do you happen to have a picture? That would help a-lot. If not, try looking up different mushrooms on the internet.
June 18, 2011 03:49PM
frostythesnowman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you happen to have a picture? That would help
> a-lot. If not, try looking up different mushrooms
> on the internet.
Frosty
You should see an attachment photos on my post. Let me know if you can't open them.
I also looked on the interment couldn't find anything.
Thanks for your reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 03:54PM by Wyhunter.
jc
June 20, 2011 04:16PM
Welcome Wyhunter.

Those do not look very familiar to me. The white spore print should help narrow it down a bit, but there are many white spored mushrooms out there. I found some similar ones in May a few years back in my neighbors yard but still couldn't accurately identify them. Some kind of Hygrophorus maybe?
June 20, 2011 07:32PM
JC Thanks for your reply.
After doing a little research I'm still not sure what hygrophorus means.
However after doing more research I think they have had latex on some of them. I just learned what that is by the way. If that is the case than they fall under the Genus lactarius "Latex" Which is a large Genus of Mycorrhizal mushrooms. Meaning Symbiotic relationship. That would explain why I always have found them in sage brush. Sometimes right in the center of the bush as if it were part of it. I often find them on BLM land where ranchers have range feed there cattle.
The more I study this the more overwelemed I get, And just want to say Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghh!!! forget it.

So many people in Kemmerer where I live harvest this mushroom, but no one can tell me what it is. Do all mushrooms have common names???

I'm here in Denver this week for work. Are you guys still getting mushrooms??? I may go out after work.
June 27, 2011 03:47PM
I am guessing you found these near a snow bank at a fairly high elevation. They are most likely Hygrophorus subalpinus, an edible mushroom, but be sure of your identification. They are a mediocre edible and one of our common snow bank fungi.
June 29, 2011 11:13PM
Gnomed Again. Thanks for your reply.
I was in Co last weekend. I went on a mushroom hunt with Colorado Mycological Society on Saturday. A couple of people found some Hygrophorus Subalpinus, that I saw for the first time. It was not the same mushroom. The Subalpinus had gills attached to the stem that ran down the stem a ways. The ones I'm finding are not like that. We do have some snow banks still, but not where I have been finding these mushrooms.
I'm working in Yellowstone this week. It's hard to focus on work when all I want to do is go hunt for mushrooms. I have cought the bug. I have so much to learn.

I will be back in Kemmerer this weekend where I live.
I will be hunting for more of the same mushroom. If I find any what should I be looking for, or take pictures of, So I can ad that to my post???

I will be willing to send some mushrooms to any one who thinks they can identify them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 11:18PM by Wyhunter.
July 05, 2011 11:27AM
If I had read the post more clearly, I would have noticed that you mentioned low elevation sage brush habitat. Next time you find some, take pictures of the mushroom in situ. Also, when you harvest it, dig the entire mushroom out of the ground, making sure to get the entire bottom of the mushroom. For proper identification, take a picture of the entire mushroom, especially showing distinct features of the mushroom. Take a picture if the latex bleeding as well. I can bring a specimen with me over to the Sam Mitchell Herbarium of Fungi in the Denver Botanic Gardens and have a few people check it out after some better photos... Hope this helps!
July 06, 2011 12:55AM
Gnomed Again
Thanks for your reply. I would love to send you some. I went out last Saturday, but couldn't find any. I think it's getting too late in the season. I'm afraid it will have to wait until next year. I have some in-situ photos, but I'm haveing a hard time attaching them.

All I found last Saturday was hundreds of morels in a burn area. However I picked only a few. Most of them were only about 1" tall, dry and brittle. I think they came up late because of a 300% snow pack. Then the weather got too warm, and they dried up.
July 26, 2011 12:36PM
I noticed the same mushroom you described growing under sagebrush near a cattle field last spring here in carson City, NV. It was an uncommonly wet week with a warming trend that seemed to trigger the growth. I had never seen these before in this area and they didn't come up this year. They were everywhere, thousands of them. I was wondering if they were edible as well.
July 26, 2011 04:47PM
check this out [www.coloradomushrooms.com] looks like horse mushroom.
July 29, 2011 05:22PM
Looks like a horse mushroom or Agaricus Arvensis see this web site
[www.coloradomushrooms.com]
jc
August 01, 2011 11:38PM
Looks can be deceiving. Did you note the gill color? That would rule out any Agaricus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login