Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hello and please help me identify these!

Hello and please help me identify these!
August 29, 2012 01:08PM
Hey everyone, my name is Chase and I live in Lakewood. I am a Colorado native, I spent 11 years in the U.S. Navy, I currently work on the James Webb Space Telescope and I love gardening and yard work. I play sax in a band called "Digg" and I love to ride motorcycles.

Anyway, I stayed home from work today because my youngest daughter has the flu. While I was meandering in my back yard I came across a patch of mushrooms that was different and much larger than I normally see. I plucked one to examine it. It smelled great and had a firm texture. I picked the rest of them and trimmed their stems, which were really woody. I think they are Lepiota rachodes (Shaggy Parasol, Macrolepiota rachodes), but before today, I've never tried to identify any mushrooms. I have attached a photo. What do you guys think?
Attachments:
open | download - photo-4.JPG (552.6 KB)
August 29, 2012 08:51PM
They look to me to be sarcodon imbricatus - also known as the "Shingled Hedgehog" or "Hawk's Wing".
[www.coloradomushrooms.com]

For them to be s.imbricatus, you should have found them in amongst or very near pine trees - and not, for example, in your lawn. The flesh should be fairly solid, and white or maybe a bit tanish. The spore-print will be brown (get a sheet of white paper and take one of the mushrooms, break off the stem (stipe) and then lay it down on the paper for hours or overnight, you should see a brown spore print). There shouldn't be much of an odor, and if you break off a bit and taste it it should taste like a slightly bitter mushroom - but only a little bitter, it should taste pretty good.

They are edible and I think they are pretty tasty.

Look at the photos and decide for yourself, but to me they look sarcodon imbricatus - particularly the one in the upper-left.
[www.google.com]

Look at the underside as well, s.imbricatus will look like this:
[www.coloradomushrooms.com]

while chlorophyllum rhacodes will look like this:
[www.mushroomexpert.com]

But checking the spore print is a good test. With c.rhacodes, it will be whitish, with s.imbricatus it will be brown. And if it has a green spore print, then leave it alone since it's probably chlorophyllum molybdites - although the photos don't look much like c.molybdites.
[www.mushroomexpert.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 09:04PM by pfmahoney.
jc
September 09, 2012 10:45AM
They are not Sarcodon. They appear to be L. rachodes but be sure they have a white spore print and are not confused with the poisonous green spored lepiota http://www.coloradomushrooms.com/mushroom.php?id=16
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login