Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Morel Hunting Areas

Morel Hunting Areas
March 30, 2010 04:42AM
Morel season is almost here! Time to dust out your hunting baskets and get ready for spring. A little bird told me that Lake Granby area is not only a good area for boletes but also for the black morel. I also was reading that the Grant area is pretty productive in June. But blonde morels should start appearing sooner than the others. I checked out this site: www.cms.org/articles.htm and found some interesting articles about morel hunting if anyone is interested. And if you have any tips of your own, I would love to hear 'em. Happy mushrooming!
jc
Re: Morel Hunting Areas
April 02, 2010 09:25AM
Morels should be popping up soon in the lower elevation areas. Best best is to look under narrow leaved cottonwood trees < 6000ft elevation. They can be very difficult to find since the blend in so well with the ground.
April 21, 2010 04:44PM
Found some more info on indicator plants of Morels, and just as jc says above, narrow leaf cottonwoods are one of the best indicators, as well as old apple trees, and asparagus getting just too old to harvest are good places to look for the blonde morel. The black tends to be at elevations of 8,000'-9,000' when aspens have quarter sized leaves, and Pasque flowers and Calypso orchids are in bloom. Good fungi indicator species are brown cup fungi such as the genus Rhizinia, Peziza, or Discina. Also the false snowbank morel, Gyromitria esculenta pop up 2-3 weeks before black morels start popping up.
jc
April 23, 2010 10:12AM
I think this weekend would be a good time to begin looking for the Blonde Morels. I have a hard time finding them each year as many do. Hopefully I can find some sooner or later.
April 28, 2010 04:59AM
Went out lookin' for Morels yesterday for a little bit. Noticed the narrow leaf cotton wood leaves are aprox. 3/4"-1" long, like in this fuzzy picture taken just outside Lyons.

I also noticed that the mints are just about 8" tall, the majority only 6" tall, so I have a feeling that this week marks the beginning of Morel season! I also have been seeing Pasque flowers blooming at lower front range area, so we should start seeing black ones soon too!
May 10, 2010 12:53PM
Found this guy on May 7th. You can imagine my excitement.
jc
May 12, 2010 10:23PM
Wow! Its huge! I guess is time to find more.
May 17, 2010 11:42PM
I learned this year that following elm trees seems to better your chances of success. Especially elm trees that have been attacked by Dutch elm disease. Also I think I might be on to something... dying ash trees. I found many of my finds this year underneath dying ash. Maybe this is due to a similar reaction by the mycellium to distribute itself, as in elms? On a forum I also came across a handy tip. If the poison ivy is just beginning to leaf out, Morels are about. Once they have started to really leaf out, time to work north, or up in elevation.
jc
May 18, 2010 08:10AM
Funny you say that as I was looking under elms yesterday. I has been my understanding that the yellow morels grow under several different hardwood trees. Narrowleaved cottonwood, elms, apple, etc. Right now is probably a good time to look further north or up in elevation a bit, say around ~6000ft.
May 18, 2010 10:26PM
And the black ones are right around the corner. You are correct. 6000'-7000' you should see blondes and blacks appearing at the same elevations just about now, and once the calypso orchids start blooming...
May 28, 2010 12:22PM
Reports of black morels have been posted on the CMS forum. So it's time to head up to 7,000-9,000' and look around. I read that scrub aspen are good indicators, as well as any area within the elevation range where aspen and conifers mix. However, I have read reports of them being found in just pines, or just aspens, in really moist, or pretty dry environments in Colorado. This makes it kind of hard to judge where they are going to appear. But, aspen leaves are just coming out, the majority at 7,000' at least dime sized. As with any indicator plant, they are just that: indicators. Someone found 63 this year with no aspens leafing out yet, so start low and work your way up slowly, to better your chances of spotting one. Then once you have found one, start working sideways along the mountain. This will keep you at a similar elevation and environment to which they favor. Burn sites are also very productive. Try looking in old campfire rings in campgrounds, or areas that burned due to lightning. One of the only fires last year that I can find info on is the oxyoke fire in Jefferson county. Maybe there? Again, look for cup fungi, pasque flowers, calypso orchids, raspberries, aspens, and poison ivy. I have heard that some of the best patches are so covered in poison ivy, that some of the lucky people that know where they are, don't even like going there to get them.
jc
June 02, 2010 02:58PM
I hunted over the past weekend at 7800+ in the Sangre de Cristo mountains with no luck. Many of the signs were there, but I didn't find a single mushroom. It seemed a bit dry as well, so they may be in areas with more moisture.
June 13, 2010 12:40AM
Well here is the rain we were all looking for!!!! I found lots of different mushrooms today in Denver, but the last few times I went looking for morels, I have had interesting luck. Found a lost dog named Peaches along the peak to peak, dry in grand lake area but found a few unidentified mushrooms, and on a strange side note, the Longmont K9 unit took my specimens to test them. (they didn't understand why someone would go looking for mushrooms just to eat them... they asked if morels were psychoactive.) I guess they weren't what they were looking for. I tried to tell them it was just a waste of time. Oh well... wonder if I can get them back?
jc
June 13, 2010 08:04PM
Lol, that is too funny. Were you in a cow pasture?

I've been looking for black morels in the 7 to 8k range with no luck . I found an LBM in the lawn today here at 6k so I thought that was a good sign.
April 24, 2011 02:12AM
Went out today. Leaves are just starting to pop! No morels yet, though...
April 26, 2011 10:37AM
Ack...hoping some start to pop up from all this recent rain we've had. I'm planning on heading out this weekend around Boulder County to have a look, the narrow leaf cottonwoods should just be starting to leaf out.
jc
April 26, 2011 07:49PM
I'll be outdoors on a pack trip ~6000ft this weekend as well in near narrow leaf cottonwoods. I'll be on the lookout for oysters, morels or anything else that is popping.
April 27, 2011 08:46PM
Goin to Nebraska on Friday. Camping in Indian Cave State Park and attending the Great Nebraska Mushroom Hunt! Will give update!!
April 28, 2011 08:55AM
Pics please!
jc
May 03, 2011 11:10AM
I didn't find anything this weekend where we went. It was quite cold conditions for them anyway. I was on the lookout in a canyon up around 6000ft with narrow leaved cottonwoods.
May 04, 2011 05:40PM
Nebraska Morels

^ One day in Nebraska
May 31, 2011 10:25AM
still haven't found any morels. been out twice a week since march 15. anyone else had any luck? I've looked all around the platte river under and around narrow and broad leaf cotton woods. what am I doing wrong?
jc
May 31, 2011 11:03AM
I haven't found any either if that helps. They are one of the tougher ones to predict and find. They blend in well with stuff on the ground, are difficult to spot and have a very narrow time frame when you can find them. Unfortunately I think it's pretty much over for morels along the front range until next year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login