Suillus > Suillus tomentosus

Suillus tomentosus

Suillus tomentosus
(Poor mans slippery jack)


Grows under lodgepole pine trees in the mountains.


The pores will stain blue after they are scratched. Some people eat this mushroom but it is reported to not be very good, and some have been known to get sick. The Pores and / or the flesh can stain blue. Most specimens have small scales on the cap. The scales can be washed away from summer rains. This mushroom is associated with pines.

Although this mushroom is edible, it is not advisable to eat any boletes that stain blue or have red pore surfaces as they could be poisonous. Suillus tomentosus (Poor mans slipper jack) is an exception.



Spore Print

Olive Brown





Last Updated

Jan 15 2023 11:34 PM

DISCLAIMER: We intend information on this web site to be accurate. It is possible that some information may contain errors. If you find something that is not accurate or should be looked at please contact us at comments at coloradomushrooms dot com. You should always be 100% sure on your identification before consuming any wild mushrooms. It is best to consult a local expert or join your local mycological society. This web site takes no responsiblity if you ingest wild mushrooms.